[Incubator] Motion: MetaCRS to enter Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 12 14:07:11 EDT 2008

Steve Lime wrote:
> I don't think it's that people don't care, and nobody could argue with the importance
> of these components. When I saw your initial message I figured excellent I need to
> make sure to vote on that and moved on to other messages. Then that message
> slipped up and off my client window.

Steve,

Well, I'm certainly familiar with this scenario ... I call the bottom of my
email view my event horizon.  An  email that slips below it is lost to this
universe.

> It wasn't until Howard's reply today that I
> remembered the obligation and voted. I suspect that others were in the same boat.
>
> Incidentally, libgeotiff stands out as being very different from the other projects
> mentioned. Why is it included? Makes more sense to me as a sub-project of GDAL...

Libgeotiff is only responsible for the coordinate system and georeferencing
aspect of the GeoTIFF format (it is layered on libtiff which does the actual
imaging).  The bulk of libgeotiff is about expanding coordinate systems from
the EPSG definitions, and encoding/decoding these definitions from geotiff
tags.

The hard questions with libgeotiff relate to EPSGish interpretation.
Libgeotiff is also the origin of the coordinate system dictionaries used
by GDAL, PROJ.4, PostGIS and related software.

So, briefly, since the bulk of libgeotiff activity is coordinate system
related, I felt it was a decent fit for MetaCRS.

PS. I composed message with my two children reading back parts of it,
unsynchronized with each other.  If it is a bit incoherent, consider
my circumstances. :-)