[Incubator] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] process for copyright assignment

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Wed Apr 15 11:49:00 EDT 2009

Arnulf Christl wrote:

> ...moved from Discuss to Incubator
>
> Julien-Samuel Lacroix schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The main goal of OSGeo Labs have always been to help new project to get
>> in touch with other OSGeo members. OSGeo Labs should be the place to get
>> help/resources to get your project to and through incubation. This
>> includes assigning your copyright to OSGeo, get on the OSGeo trac
>> infrastructure and get comment/help on your project.
>>
>> I added some sections to OSGeo Labs page to begin to add those
>> informations. Would you (Tim, Steve or anyone) add your ideas there to
>> start the discussion. We can also create another page beside OSGeo Labs
>> that will contain those info.
>>
>> Julien
>
> I cannot quite follow this line of thought. Why is it required to assign
> copyright to OSGeo in Labs? We do not even require this for incubation?
>

> On that issue: The Mapbender PSC has voted to move copyright ownership
> of the project to OSGeo (this happened several months back but I never
> followed up). Currently almost all copyrights furtunately lies with
> CCGIS whereof I am the owner, so it will be a one step thing. What do I
> need to do to move the copyright to OSGeo?
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.

I put it there not to require it, but to document the process for the
projects that want to do it. GeoExt is in the same boat as you. They
want to know how to move the copyright to OSGeo.

OSGeo Labs as an entry point for new projects could be the right place
to document such process.

Julien

--
Julien-Samuel Lacroix