[Incubator] how fond are we of open development

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:05:53 EST 2009

I am muddling along mentoring Deegree; and my initial point of contact has
left the employment of lat/lon.
This raised two things for me:
- first time I have seen the incubation process as the undertaking of a
single developer; and not a community effort
- to question if I was on the right list (deegree-devel) and if I should
hunt around for an admin or steering committee list

Checking on the principles page:
- http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html

I do not specifically see diversity of development community as a concern;
it is almost written into the assumptions that talk about community and
contributors. However I do not wish to miss-represent the incubation
process.

Here is what I was checking for:

> However I am more interested in seeing a community response to the
> inccubation process rather than it being the responsibility of lat/lon.
> One of the things I am supposed to figure out is how diverse the
> community is that supports the deegree project.

And here is the question from Markus Lupp:

Does this diversity have any relevance for the incubation process? As you
will
have noticed, the deegree 2 code is currently maintained by developers
working
at lat/lon -- and most parts have been written by them as well. However,
we're
hoping to change this with deegree 3, so more active external developers
become
involved...

Can I ask the email list here to help me respond. I seem to recall us
checking out GeoNetwork and wanting to make sure that it was supported by a
number of organizations and not just an internal FAO project.