[Incubator] how fond are we of open development

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:51:54 EST 2009

One of OSGeo's roles is to highlight the best of breed software for
future Geospatial users, and save these users the need to go and try
every single project available.

So the criteria that we apply to incubation is closely aligned with the
criteria that is used by someone assessing a project:

* Does the project do what I need?
* Is the project stable?
* Is there a support community?
* Is there support? (read quality commercial or enterprise level support)
* Does the project integrate with my other applications (read is it
standards compliant)?
* What are the future prospects for the project?
* Who else uses the project? Does it have a lot of money behind it?

And when evaluating an Open Source project, add:
* Is there a strong community behind the project? Will the project die
if one of the sponsoring organisations goes under, or decides not to
support it any longer?

Deegree seems to be failing on this last criteria, which is a big cross
against them. However, I think they are in a difficult position. Trying
to build a community is hard, and will take years for a project the size
of Deegree, as the barrier to entry (in learning hours) is high, and
potential contributors will be competing directly against Lat/Lon for
sponsorship dollars.

So to pass incubation, I'd be looking for Deegree to be extra strong in
other areas. In particular LatLon have lots of customers using Deegree
who will keep the project working for a good time to come.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally