[Incubator] java-collab svn repo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 8 10:45:51 EDT 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Evening List:
>
> We have a nice example of OSGeo working out for all parties involved;
> as part of a java-collab collaboration GeoTools and Deegree are
> looking into setting up a shared geometry library.
>
> Can we ask for an svn repository? http://svn.osgeo.org/java-collab/
> would be appropriate (and match the existing email list). It could be
> we need to ask to be an OSGeo Lab first? I am not sure ...

Jody,

Would you consider doing this within the GeoTools svn instance?   We
can provide a custom committer list for a shared collab area if you like.

My concern with doing a bunch of development in a standalone svn is two
fold.

1) Each svn instance does have some admin and maintenance cost for SAC.

2) It leaves responsibility for the code and management in a neitherworld
between projects.  We have gone to substantial effort for each project to
establish a governance mechanism.  To then do substantive work outside
any of those frameworks is (IMHO) not a great idea.

A number of projects have been establishing /sandbox areas of their
subversion respository to which they grant access to those who aren't
full committers (such as students).  In your case perhaps you could
establish an area to which any geotools or deegree committers would
be permitted access.