[Incubator] OSSIM Incubation Status - License
mlucas17 at mac.com
Sun Mar 8 11:25:45 EDT 2009
On Mar 4, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Richard Gould wrote:
>> If I recall correctly, the only possible issue that was brought up
>> when OSSIM was recommended for graduation was some confusion of
>> code headers. I recall there was some intention to resolve this,
>> but I
>> have not been keeping up with mentor duties nor following the
>> so I do not know whether this was resolved or not. Unfortunately at
>> this moment I do not have the time to look into or assist in this
>> matter. Perhaps somebody else would be kind enough to volunteer?
>> The email I refer to is here:
>> There were some follow ups, but it seems that they were not captured
>> in the archives.
> I have the same question. A single examination of
> indicates there is still no in-file license header in trunk. It is
> some of my questions were responded to at the time, but
> unfortunately I can't
> find any record of it. Perhaps I'm missing it.
LICENSE.TXT and LGPL.TXT are are placed at the top of all of the key
subdirectories in the OSSIM library. We also addressed the questions
that were previously raised about shapelib, matrix, kbool, and
Geotrans by the header in the OSSIM directory shown below.
We have elected not to place this information in every file. Many of
the files are generated by other tools and we believe it is an
unnecessary to convey the license and our intent. OSSIM is a fairly
large baseline. A file count shows over 25,000 files.
We elected to place the following at the top level in the OSSIM
The OSSIM tree embeds some code from other libraries as well new
code. We will describe the license terms of the embedded modules as
well as the license of the ossim core engine. All code derived or
embedded in the ossim core engine should not restrict the use of
1. OSSIM engine abides by the LGPL license terms. We grant you the
use of the OSSIM core engine in commercial or non commercial use
without royalty as long as the credits for the original authors stay
within the source code. See the top level LGPL.txt found found here
along side the LICENSE.txt.
2. shapelib. The shape library was written by Frank Warmerdam and
has an MIT Style license these files include:
dbfopen.c shpopen.c shptree.c
and are located in src/ossim/vec directory. They have the following
* Copyright (c) 1999, Frank Warmerdam
* This software is available under the following "MIT Style" license,
* or at the option of the licensee under the LGPL (see
* option is discussed in more detail in shapelib.html.
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
* copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
* to deal in the Software without restriction, including without
* the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
* and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom
* Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
* in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
* OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
* THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
* FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
* DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
3. The matrix library was written by Robert Davies. At the time of
download the site was located at http://www.robertnz.net. He gives
free use in commercial and non commercial as long as his code remains
in tact and the credits for the author are known.
4. The kbool library does polygon boolean operation and is used by the
ossimPolyArea2d class. The license terms are based on the wxwidgets
licensing which gives free use in commercial and non-commercial
libraries. At the time of download the module used could be found at: http://boolean.klaasholwerda.nl/download/download.html
5. Geotrans. The geotrans library is a set of map projections that
are certified and hosted by NGA. They give free use in commercial and
non commercial software packages and at the time of download the
geotrans modules could be found at http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/geotrans/
. We have embedded the datum, ellipsoid, and map projections into the
ossim baseline and wrapped in C++ classes so to remove the global
variable access common in the raw getorans c library.
> Best regards,
> I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at pobox.com
> light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> and watch the world go round - Rush | Geospatial Programmer for
More information about the Incubator