[Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri May 22 14:33:00 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A couple weeks ago we received another application for incubation from the
> GeoToolkit project. GeoToolkit is a fork of GeoTools.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geotoolkit_Incubation_Application

Um... a fork of an existing OSGeo project applying for graduation. Not
sure what to think about that. Forks are part of our reality and I have
no problem with that, but I'm not sure that OSGeo can stand behind two
forks of the same project.

The history page is an interesting read, but I still don't get a clear
idea of what's happening exactly and what to think about both GeoToolkit
vs GeoTools:

http://www.geotoolkit.org/history.html

It would perhaps be interesting to hear what the GeoTools PMC members
have to say about this fork... hear their side of the story.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/