[Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Fri May 22 19:36:57 EDT 2009

Geotools as a project has already graduated to be a full OSGeo project.

I'm disappointed to see Geotools fork. While I think I understand the
reasons behind it, I see a split as a sign of a fragmented community,
which is the opposite of the strong community criteria we put on
graduating projects.

It also waters down OSGeo's branding to have 2 projects offering the
same or very similar functionality.
One of the strengths of OSGeo is that the OSGeo brand helps sponsors and
integrators select the quality OSGeo projects over others. The more
projects we support (which do the same thing), the less the value to the
remaining projects.

That said, I don't think that Geotoolkit should be locked out of the
graduation process because of the fragmentation, it just makes the
criteria to pass graduation harder. Of note, Adrian Custer, from the
Geotoolkit branch was a major force completing the Geotools graduation,
and knows all too well about the effort involved in the graduation process.

One thing that has been discussed before, and would be very valuable to
the greater community, and hence to projects, would be a purchasing
decision tree for the OSGeo projects that are supported. I think this
would be very useful for Geotools/Geotoolkit too. Under what
circumstances would you select Geotools? Under what circumstances would
you select Geotoolkit?

Cameron Shorter, the (final) incubation mentor for Geotools.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally