[Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Tue May 26 17:08:23 EDT 2009

Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> Again, I don't think that preventing this is the role of OSGeo. Ensuring
> that projects are meeting the requirements of the license of places that
> they obtain code from is a perfectly reasonable task -- though generally
> I'm completely in support of leaving this up to the projects -- but
> stepping in to say "You need to give GeoToolkit credit for code that you
> are using which was written for the GeoToolkit project" would just be
> silly. The copyright notices are likely required to be in place, and
> anything beyond that would be well beyond the role of OSGeo as a
> foundation.

But this is the issue that I was about to develop in an other mail...

There is no "(C) Copyright Geotoolkit" or "(C) Copyright Geomatys" statement, at
least not until very recently. They were only "(C) Copyright OSGeo" statements.

In the course of GeoTools incubation, we choose to get every contributors to
give their copyright to OSGeo in order to resolve a legal issue ("GeoTools" was
a non-existent legal entity) and for making easier an enventual upgrade of the
licence, from LGPL 2.1 to LGPL 3.0. Adrian and myself were especially strong
supporters of this approach.

We are not asking for credit statement. But until yesterday they were even no
"Copyright Geomatys" statement, nothing else than "Copyright OSGeo"!

If Geotoolkit is incubated, I really wish to continue that way - to keep
licensing issues simplier and in good faith toward GeoTools, for allowing code
exchange with homogeneus licence. But this approach makes us more vulnerable to
the concern that I have pointed. Because we volontary choosed to give all
copyright to OSGeo, I though that hoping for some form of "equilibre" from OSGeo
was not unfair.

If Geotoolkit is not incubated, we will protect ourself by adding "(C) Copyright
Geomatys" below "(C) Copyright OSGeo" in every Geotoolkit classes. Actually we
already took this move yesterday when we realized that it may become necessary.
However if we do so and given that there is material in Geotoolkit which is
probably of interest to GeoTools, then the GeoTools licence homogenity is
broken. GeoTools would be in their right mind to react by adding themself "(C)
Copyright OpenGeo" or similar statement, which would compromise the hard work we
did during GeoTools incubation.

This issue may become totally irrelevant in two years if each project get enough
of own identity. But for now there is a window of vulnerability and - if we play
by the rule we were hoping to play inside OSGeo - there would be *no* copyright
statement for protecting our work.

The alternative would be that, if OSGeo accepts to incubate Geotoolkit, is also
accepts that we break the policy that we have setup ourself with GeoTools and
add "(C) Geomatys" statements in all our work. But be aware that we avoided that
until yesterday because I though that it would be unfair toward GeoTools (even
if I'm the main author of all the code in the "geotoolkit" repository).

A compromise could be that we accumulate "(C) Geomatys" during a year and
transfer the copyright to OSGeo once a year. This is not what we did since the
incubation of GeoTools (we were giving copyright directly).

	Martin