[Incubator] OSGeo Labs invitation before FOSS4G

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Oct 12 13:44:23 EDT 2009

Julien,

I brought this up after applying for Incubation for the GeoMoose project.  I'm wondering about how much overhead the Incubation and OSGEO statud will bring about and add to the GeoMoose project itself.  Resources are on the lean side for example.  And coming up to OSGEO snuff might not be very practical.

My thoughts related to the LABs container as a proving ground of sorts, where the community could kick the particular projects tires, so to speak, and even encourage proceeding with ideas or suggesting new ones.

bobb

>>> Julien-Samuel Lacroix <jlacroix at mapgears.com> wrote:

Thanks for your feedback.

I would also like to make some room for projects that don't aim to be in
incubation anytime soon (or ever). They can be too small or simply not
willing to put the time and effort into it. A good example is PostGIS.
It didn't apply for incubation until recently for various reason, but I
would still see a room for it in the OSGeo Labs. Is there something in
your proposal for that kind of projects?

I can see a step in the incubation process where people would be added
to the Labs, but for that to have any value, the OSGeo Labs must have a
value. Something like being established as a Geospatial FOSS project
directory. Something like the Service Provider Directory that OSGeo
maintains. I think the first thing to do before including the Labs in
our official policy is to make something useful out of it.

My idea is, first, regroup FOSS software in one place to build a
directory and a place to point people to when they are talking to me of
their new and interesting project at FOSS4G. :)

Julien

Bob Basques wrote:

> All,
>

> Just to open a possible can of worms related to this,  I did float the
> idea last year of using the LAB container as a method (and/or process)
> of applying for incubation.  Didn't seem to be much interest at the
> time, but since the LABs things s being brought up again.  The general
> idea, would be to apply for LABs status, and they with some sort of
> promotion out of labs into incubation.  This seemed like a better
> approach for medium to smallish projects to get up to speed for
> incubation while still gaining some lime light within OSGEO.  Also
> seemed like a good method for vetting newer projects vs older.
>

> Just my pot stirring ideas . . .
>

> :c)
>

> bobb
>

>  >>> Julien-Samuel Lacroix <jlacroix at mapgears.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of inviting people on OSGeo-Discuss to add their Geo-FOSS
> projects on the OSGeo Labs page before FOSS4G to build a kind of
> directory of all Geo related FOSS projects around.
>
> Ideally all projects presented to FOSS4G could go in the Lab even if
> they do not aim to ever enter incubation (They must have a reason). If
> we gather enough interest I would like to make a motion to the board to
> make this an official OSGeo policy. Something like (this is a very very
> short draft):
> OSGeo Labs is a directory of all Geo related FOSS projects around. OSGeo
> invites everyone to register their projects on the OSGeo Labs page. A
> disclaimer on the page should warn people that those projects do not
> meet OSGeo "quality" criteria (or whatever superlative the incubation
> gives to a project).
>
> I would like to have other opinions on that (and maybe someone to
> quickly reread my English-is-not-my-first-language mail).
>
> Something like:
>
> I would like to invite every FOSS4G presenters to register their
> projects in the OSGeo Labs page. OSGeo Labs aims to gather together all
> geospatial related FOSS projects and give visibility to all FOSS
> projects out there. You do not have to aim for OSGeo incubation to
> register. Just being a Free and Open Source Software and Geo related is
> enough to be added to the OSGeo Labs page.
>
> Please visit the OSGeo Labs page for more information:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Labs
>

> Julien
> --
> Julien-Samuel Lacroix