[Incubator] Maintenance of Graduated projects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 26 13:03:27 EDT 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
>>> he incubation committee will in future have to address maintenance of
>> graduated projects. (I bring this topic up every few months. One day
>> someone will hopefully pick it up and discuss these ideas here).

Arnulf,

I'm not clear on what sort of ongoing maintenance for graduated projects
you are looking for.  Part of the incubation process should be putting in
place an ongoing contribution vetting process, but there is no reason it
needs to involved the incubation committee once it is working smoothly.

> Hi Arnulf:
>
> Sounds like we have a similar idea of what needs to be done over the
> next little while. If the incubation committee is going to play a role
> for graduated projects perhaps it should be called the "project"
> committee. Do you know if it is within our mandate to do this?
>
> If so we could ask that MapBuilder be removed from the website; it is
> marked as retired in its website (and mapbuilder.net
> <http://mapbuilder.net> has taken over google rankings)  but there is no
> indication on the website what is going on.

The last item I have seen in this regard is that Cameron was going to
prepare a draft policy on retired projects.  If someone wants to take
that on, I'm agreeable and I imagine Cameron could use some time to
decompress after FOSS4G!

> In our wiki the previous incubation documents are marked as "for
> historical purposes, and are no longer actively maintained". This would
> actually be a point in favour of projects doing the work on their wiki
> or source code tree. For GeoTools we moved the review into our source
> code tree so it can be actively maintained.

I agree.