[Incubator] MapFish Incubation application - reactivation

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Oct 27 10:34:17 EDT 2009

All,

It seems prudent to chime in here about GeoMoose as well, which it primarily a Web Based (UI) framework intended for rapid deployment.  it also uses existing OSGEO components like MapServer, and OpenLayers LIBs, but is also agnostic about such services.  It's windows distrubution is with MS4W and can be installed very quickly as well.  It's also suitable for build out in an offline capacity.

Hmmm, these are the sort of things I was pondering a lot after making the GeoMoose application for incubation, how to filter projects down into salable (sellable) packages.  The GeoMoose project has server pieces distributed with it. The line between (OSGEO)  services and applications has become  very blurry in my opinion over the last year or so.

It seems to me that these types of discussions should happen after incubation, or at least more near the end of the process.  Or is it a feeling that the sooner the better, or rather once things are set, not much you can do about it, sort of thinking?

:c)

bobb

>>> Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com> 10/27/09 3:08 AM >>>
At FOSS4G, I was introduced to GeoMajas http://www.geomajas.org/
This project provides similar functionality to MapFish, and before
moving into MapFish into incubation, I'd be interested to hear a
discussion about the similarities and differences between the two
projects. In particular, I'd be interested to hear whether there are
opportunities to share libraries between projects. (We gain more by
focusing our developers on one project rather than splitting between many).

Claude Philipona wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to point to the ticket 293 (MapFish Incubation application
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/293), more than a year old, for
> which the incubation committee hasn't given any answer yet.
>
> The experiences and discussions at the FOSS4G conference clearly shows
> the large interest and the need for such a framework in the FOSS4G
> ecosystem. Since last year, the number of users, organizations,
> companies implementing or contributing to MapFish has continuously
> increased. MapFish fills some holes as a high end webmapping
> framework, now that some projects using previous generation technology
> are stalling or slowly dying. A PSC is being set-up with a large
> representation from different organizations, countries, background.
>
> All the criteria for Incubation are fully met and it is now really a
> good time, as I've discussed with several members of the incubation
> committee, to start incubation as the MapFish just went through one
> lifecycle and is just starting the next one with important strategic
> decision.
>
> We will discuss the project organization during the BoF 2 hours from
> now and I hope we can take the chance to discuss afterwards with
> members of the Incubation Committee to quickly go on the further steps
> leading to incubation start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Claude

Cameron Shorter