[Incubator] MapFish Incubation application - reactivation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 19:56:38 EDT 2009

> One of the rules of marketing is "the less you write, the more your words
> will be read".
> I feel the same about OSGeo projects. We should be focusing on a few quality
> projects rather than a catalog of all projects around. The OSGeo brand
> should be helping implementers select the best of the projects around.

Interesting; the mandate for OSGeo is to support open source
geospatial; not really to a produce a sensible stack of projects
(there are many vendors doing exactly that and we want to encourage
their success).

If the OSGeo brand wants to do some sensible work in this direction we
can start offering feature comparisons and so forth to enable users to
evaluate.

With this in mind I am coming down completely in the opposite
direction; I want to encourage competition and collaboration as two
tools to increase quality across the board.