[Incubator] longer term approaches to an OSGeo Stack

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Oct 29 04:18:26 EDT 2009

I agree with Frank's principles below which have served us well to date,
and I think we should keep them.

I propose now that OSGeo and our software is maturing, we should
recognise the increased quality of our projects through the OSGeo brand.
I see this taking the form of increasing criteria for incubation (or
whatever we may decide to call the OSGeo Quality brand).

The format for increasing quality is something that we can apply
gradually and will need to have caveats as there are differences between
projects.
But I suggest a timeframe for quality criteria should include something
like:

within 6 months: 1 page flier describing the project
within 12 months: Packaging of project into LiveDVD  or debian, or osgeo4win
within 18 months: Tutorials on how to use core functionality for the project
within 2 years: Tutorials for all functionality
within 3 years: Training material incorporated into tertiary education
courses / OSGeo reference book

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager