[Incubator] Re: Is rasdaman suitable/ready for OSGeo incubation?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 15:06:30 EST 2010

On 05/12/10 06:11, Baumann, Peter wrote:
> So your argument seems to say, in the end, that further external committers need to be found. Totally agreed from my side. Would such a broadening of maintenance settle your concerns?

Peter,
Yes, an aim for selecting OSGeo projects is that the software will be
stable and continue to be maintained for a long time in the future.
Strong indicators that this will be the case is:
* There are multiple developers currently working on and familiar with
the codebase
* There are multiple users of the application
* Users have funding behind them which pays for the developers and hence
sustains the project

My comments have been based on my experience with developing Open Source
where I've noticed that it is more difficult to attract both users and
developers to a project if there is a perception that the open source
part of the project may become ignored or abandoned in future.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director

Think Globally, Fix Locally