[Incubator] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 16:49:33 EDT 2010

For the OSGeo LiveDVD and OSGeo marketing material, I propose we use a 5
star maturity rating. This is because it is too difficult to explain in
a couple of words, the difference between: "Graduated", "In Incubation",
"Stable", "Beta"
Again, I'm interested to hear comments on whether I have defined a good
rating system, before we set it in stone.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts#Maturity_Rating

Description
    A 5 star rating system to qualify the how established a project is.
    Rating is to be broken down as follows:

        * 5 stars: This rating is yet to be defined, and will not be
          allocated to projects yet. Project includes bundled software,
          regular builds, security updates, training, etc.
        * 4 stars: Project has passed osgeo incubation
        * 3.5 stars: Not to be used yet, but may later be introduced for
          projects which have entered incubation.
        * 3 stars: Project has Stable Software, a Stable community, is
          deployed in production systems, and is ready to pass criteria
          to enter incubation.
        * 2 stars: Project has Stable Software.
        * 1 star: Project has Beta software.

--