[Incubator] two different xGPL licences in one project?

Arnulf Christl (aka Seven) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Mar 12 17:32:30 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 12:19 +0100, Peter Baumann wrote:
> thanks a lot for the rapid answer, Frank!
> So we will proceed putting both parts into two branches of the repo,
> have a clarifying statement of the parts' GPLs, and otherwise develop
> a unified handling wrt download/installation/deployment. The code
> anyway has individual headers, so that shouldn't pose a problem.
>
> Great that this turns out to be possible without hassle.
>
> -Peter

Peter,
you might want to consider publishing both packages under the same
license, it makes things easier in the long run. As you are the
copyright owner of both parts this is straight forward and just leaves
you with asking your user community to find out whether they expect
trouble or have issues with such a step.

Regards,
Arnulf.

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > Peter Baumann wrote:
> >
> > > Hi listers,
> > >
> > > we have two OS projects:
> > > - the rasdaman raster DBMS which is domain neutral (www.rasdaman.org);
> > > this is GPL
> > > - the PetaScope add-on to rasdaman which offers OGC conformant
> > > interfaces (www.petascope.org); this is LGPL
> > >
> > > Experience shows that this is confusing for our community, and I would
> > > love to merge them both, whereby mergin means: hosting under the same
> > > URL and having a single installation procedure.
> > >
> > > Q: Is that possible given the two different licence models? Any special
> > > measures to be taken?
> > >

> > Peter,
> >
> > I don't forsee any insurmountable problems, but it will be important to
> > keep the distinction between the two parts pretty clear so folks know
> > what license applies to what portion.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >

> --
> Dr. Peter Baumann
>  - Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
>    www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
>    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
>    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
>  - Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 147737)
>    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
>    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
> "Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 10xx)

http://arnulf.us
Exploring Space, Time and Mind