[Incubator] PyWPS

Arnulf Christl (aka Seven) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Mar 12 17:57:56 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 13:49 -0500, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Andrea Aime wrote:
> >
> > Mind, GeoServer never actually used the dual licensing scheme, though
> > there has been some discussion on whether it would be possible
> > for OpenPlans (the copyright holder) to sell GeoServer source
> > code under a commercial license.
> >

> Um... I never realized this dual licensing possibility during
> GeoServer's incubation.
>
> Dual licensing / single copyright holder should become a question to
> address for future incubated projects.

This was my primary intention when asking in December [1] whether OSGeo
Incubation should more explicitly nudge projects into turning over their
Copyright. The answers were rather indifferent so I did not follow up.

Chris pointed out that from his perspective the process and resulting
legal structure was not well defined yet, one reason why OpenLayers
never really made an effort to move their copyright under the hood of
OSGeo. Maybe this is a chance to pick this topic up again?

My personal opinion is that the copyright of all OSGeo software should
naturally lie with OSGeo. As simple as that. I cannot see any advantage
of having the copyright elsewhere and so far nobody came up with any
good reason. But there is no hurry or pressure to do anything.

Regards,

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2009-December/006471.html

--
http://arnulf.us