[Incubator] idea: petition board for a change of scope

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 05:05:52 EDT 2011

Background:

There seems to be recurring requests (on osgeo discuss) for projects to do more. Currently (after incubation) projects have an officer reporting to the board; allowing the board to formally make the request for projects to do more. These officers are also available as a point of contact for other committees (marketing, education, live dvd are the most vocal). Thus far I the only thing I have been asked for formally is an annual report.

It seems we have a bit of a communication problem about what the incubation committee is for; since I am a little bit tired of being the bad guy and saying "no", what would we need to be able to do in order to say "yes"?

Here is the idea:

We petition the board for a change of scope.

Name:
Project Committee

Scope:
Committee for current and future projects

Process and Procedures:
- incubation process
- TBD ...

For this to work we would need to ask the various project officers (for graduated projects) to stay on as members of this committee; even after their project has "graduated".

With an increase in scope we could take on, with project representatives in a voting position, additional tasks in an organised fashion. As an example we could actually address a issue such as "quality". Indeed that is a good example of a "goal". Personally I would start with asking projects to publish their existing quality assurance practices and issue tracker and call it a day. I know mapserver has had an independent security audit; if funding was available perhaps this idea could be extended to other projects.