[Incubator] Re: idea: petition board for a change of scope

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jun 28 12:13:41 EDT 2011

On 11-06-27 09:31 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>         I don't mind acting as chair - I am not currently a mentor of
>         anything. However
>         we do need to
>         contact the current list of project officers and see if the like
>         this idea --
>         why borrow trouble if
>         the idea won't go ahead?
>

>     Yes, I do think it is good to seek feedback from the incubated projects
>     on what roles and value they would see in a "projects committee".
>
> So looking at my volunteer efforts I have a couple of things:
> 1) wps shoot out fun and games - June 30th
> 2) geotools / udig releases in prep for live dvd - July 5th
>
> If nobody else volunteers I can contact the existing project officers
> after this date and see if they are interested.

Hi Jody,

I believe most of the project officers are already on this list (the
most active ones anyway), so I think this is the right place to ask the
question that you asked. Or at a minimum, we should seek feedback here
from the IncCom members before going through the effort of contacting
all project officers one by one.

Unfortunately maybe the lack of response is due to the fact that there
is no obvious answer. On the one hand, I think everybody will recognize
the need for a group or someone in OSGeo to followup regularly with the
projects after they have incubated, but OTOH, the incubation committee
is stalled and not even doing a good job on its incubator mandate, so
it's hard to justify taking even more responsibilities until we get back
on track with incubation. (and I'm taking the blame on that front for
lack of involvement since my appointment as chair... I was hoping to
take some load off Frank's shoulders and bring the incubator back on
track, but I've been unable to find the time and energy to do it so far)

My personal opinion on your proposal is that once we are back on track
with incubation then yes we could consider extending the mandate of the
committee to become the "projects committee" as you describe it. But I'd
really prefer that we focus on getting back on track with incubation first.

And on that topic, if you or someone else with more availability than me
is interested in leading this committee then I am happy to step down to
make room for a more active chair.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette