[Incubator] Incubation Meeting 15 Minuets [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Mon Nov 21 18:11:48 EST 2011

Dear Incubating Committee,

Thank you for accepting Rasdaman into Incubation.

Wrt the IRC log:

I can confirm that I don't contribute to the Rasdaman project, apart from making the occasional suggestion to move the community closer to the OSGeo Community and associated projects and to help with the incubation process. I leave the actual decision making process to the community. I can also confirm that I do not have an interest in the organisation(s) behind the Rasdaman application.

I do have an interest in seeing Rasdaman as a viable open source alternative to commercial offerings for managing large amounts of raster data. We have millions of such data sets at the current organisation that I work at. That was my interest in volunteering for the mentor role. Do you see this as a potential conflict of interest?

@Daniel,

By way of background:

I am a former developer. However, it has been many (>5) years since I have cut code in anger. I have spent a number of years in sysadmin, solutions and enterprise architecture. In addition, I have managed a very diverse development team for the last few years. I'm currently managing a large and complex platform migration to RHEL with significant (>350) bespoke applications and associated databases. I have a diverse spatial background with qualifications, skills and experience in cartography, surveying, GIS, spatial and image analysis. In all, I have around 30 years experience in the spatial / IT domains.

Granted, I have not spent time on a specific OSGeo Project. However, I have been part of the OSGeo Community for over five years and the broader open source community for ten+ years. I do have a good feel for how OSGeo would like to run projects from the many lists that I subscribe to and participate in (e.g. Discuss); from my two years helping to organise FOSS4G-2009; and five years helping to establish OSGeo-AustNZ. I have also read and been inspired by Ken Fogel's excellent book [1]. For the OSGeo bits that I haven't picked up yet through my career, my time as a manager; and my time in FOSS, I'm sure that Jody will keep me honest and on the right track.

@Jody and Jeff,

Many thanks for the kind (and humbling) words.

Bruce

[1] http://producingoss.com/en/index.html