[Incubator] incubation from nothing?

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Sep 22 16:56:30 EDT 2011

All,

My thoughts revolved around the idea of setting up stages of incubation vs the all or nothing approach (sorry, that's what it seems like from the outside  :c) used currently.

Setting up incubation milestones, or gates (as mentioned by Daniel) which would be used to move projects along the incubation process at an albeit seemingly slower rate, but with much more time to measure the heartiness of the project and for the project to get used to the way OSGEO likes to see thing happen.

The big benefits I see to this approach are that the incubation committee members and the project stewards don't need to figure out everything up front all at once.   A project approaches a milestone, gets the attention of the incubation committee and moves through that one milestone separately from all the other milestones on the way to full incubation.  This seems like it could work with no one project steward being required for each project.   All committee members could participate in all milestones (or not).

This gated milestone approach, is to a degree, fairly flexible with regard to adding or removing requirements as well.  Discussion of such items can be carried out independent of each other.  One related thought I had would be to make the LiveDVD inclusion of the product as gated item in the incubation process for example.  Further, I think there needs to be some follow-on work after the incubation process.  When are projects evaluated during their post incubation lifetime.  Shouldn't there be a process whereby existing OSGEO projects are periodically surveyed using similar criteria to the incubation process.  Could use the military type of designation and add slash marks to project pages for number of years in OSGEO (or something  :c)  ).

Anyway Daniel and I had a good discussion on this topic at FOSS4G.

bobb

>>> Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

I had a similar discussion at FOSS4G with Bob Basques from GeoMoose. One
idea that came up was a kind of "Getting ready for OSGeo incubation
tutorial". Basically documenting all requirements and how to
achieve/meet them.

Bob might be interested in contributing to such a tutorial as GeoMoose
(eventually) goes through incubation.

Daniel

On 11-09-19 01:06 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hey Guys do we have any good references for people that are considering
> taking an internal project open source? I had two inquiries during the
> conference...
>
> It is not exactly in our mandate in the incubation committee (as we try
> and recognise project that are all set up; and check that things are in
> order - and help out if needed). That is slightly different projects
> that have not started out at all (as there is nothing for us to check).
>
> I feel that aiding this process would be very much in keeping with OSGeo
> goals; can any one recommend a good venue?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/