[Incubator] Re: Data licensing.

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:15:11 EDT 2012

Quick answer:

From the point of view of the review … you can mention that the sample data is of unknown license; raise an issue in your issue tracker to sort out, and proceed to graduation.

For a useful answer; other projects (in their review) tend write down where the data came from - often taking steps to thank the organisation that provided the data.

Examples:
- (FAIL)  Early uDig included some sample data from an ESRI product (simply because that was the data we were using for testing). We had to pull those releases when we noticed the problem.
- (SUCCESS) The live DVD is distribution the natural earth dataset (http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/naturalearth_overview.html) and mention that the license is public domain.

Does that help?