[Incubator] Asking permission to copy portion of code in the public domain

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Mon Jan 2 16:38:20 EST 2012

Hello Cameron

Le 02/01/12 22:18, Cameron Shorter a écrit :
> I assume that you were employed while writing such code? As such, I expect
> that your employer would retain copyright to the code (while still giving
> copyright to OSGeo), and as such, your employer is allowed to re-licence the
> software under whatever licence your employer chooses - be that another OS
> license, a proprietary licence, or public domain.
> Of course, it is nice to ask as well, but that should just been seen as a
> courtesy.

My Geotools contribution prior to 2006, including the code that I would like to
copy, was writen as a side effect of my Ph.D. thesis in oceanography - so it was
on my own time (I was living on student loan). I'm unfamiliar with legal
procedures, since I though that the copyright assignment that we signed was
making OSGeo the sole copyright owner. However as a safety we will ask on the
Geotools mailing list. Thanks for your feedback,

     Martin