[Incubator] Incubation Committee meeting Monday 17th

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jan 26 00:42:00 EST 2012

On 12-01-13 7:00 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> 2Ct sideways: ...if at all possible I would try to avoid using the term
> "Intellectual Property" in official statements because it is a malicious
> Meme. Simply by using it we subscribe to the concept. But Open Source
> does not function on "intellectual property" (if I ever have to use it,
> I at least put it in quotes).

Arnulf,

Either I disagree with your position or I do not understand your point.

Personally, I do not see FOSS in opposition to intellectual property. I
actually see open sourcing code as maintaining ownership of your own
intellectual property (copyright), and then applying an open license to
the code to make it free to use/modify/redistribute by the community.

As a FOSS developer I am proud of the code I have written and that has
my name on it (my intellectual property)... I never gave that code away
nor my IP rights to it and never will, I just put a very open license on
it. Yes, in some cases we assign copyright to an entity such as OSGeo,
but once again the Intellectual Property continues to exist and is used
to apply an open license and keep some control on the code. So even if
the case of copyright assignment we do not give up our IP, it is only
placed in the hands of an entity that you trust to do the right thing
with it on your behalf.

So the concept of intellectual property becomes a tool. not a problem in
my view.

My 0.02$

--
Daniel Morissette