[Incubator] Incubation Committee meeting Monday 17th

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 04:24:25 EST 2012

I will also counter this with the idea a motivation[1] for joining OSGeo is to hide from IP issues (which otherwise quickly roll over open source projects). Being tied at the legal hip with long lived projects like GRASS and GeoTools provides a bit of a buffer between the developer communities and the wide world.

The other motivation for collecting this detail is to help organisations interested in using our software. GeoTools has been through several "formal evaluations" for use in large organisations and but gathering up any trouble spots in a review it really cuts down on the amount of time these reviews take.

That said I always meet developers who have rolled their own rather than go through paperwork of trying to use open source.

[1] http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/role-foss-foundations