[Incubator] Rasdaman as a 'Benevolent dictatorship' Project: was [rasdaman-dev] patch quality

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Thu Aug 1 07:17:03 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I couldn't resist to interfere into this topic. To my opinion, most OSGeo
> projects current operate under the "Benevolent Dictatorship" model, except
> that
> they call it, in a more political correct fashion, a "Project
> Steering/Management Committee" and it is made of several individuals, with
> equal
> rights and known procedures. And, in case of hard disputes, there is an
> individual who is more equal to others, and he's called the dictator...
> ahem no,
> the "Chair"...

Except that a chair can be overruled by the rest of the PSC, a benevolent
dictator
has full powers if he wants to exercise them instead (even if normally he
would graciously
listen to the rest of the community).

For example, in the GeoServer PSC the chair (Chris Holmes) is just a tie
breaker, the position
has otherwise no special powers. We do however have a fallback, if the PSC
stops to function
the control of the project goes back to OpenPlans.

Cheers
Andrea

--
==