[Incubator] Rasdaman Incubation Status [was: FW: [rasdaman-users] Updates toward OSGeo graduation] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 23:10:53 PST 2013

On 12/02/2013 6:02 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 4:15 PM, Peter Baumann wrote:
>> thanks for your views, Cameron!
>> Indeed, the testing (and QC in general) is something that is
>> consuming significant resources. Well, every project has to go
>> through that, right?
>>
> In software and systems integration, good quality control accounts for
> a significant proportion of the project's cost, but the extra quality
> is difficult to explain and sell to a sponsor.
> Sponsors are regularly tempted to spend extra money on features, but
> find it harder to justify spending money on something as nebulous as
> "less bugs".
PS, I meant to finish with ...

Sponsors do appreciate quality, but find quality hard to measure. This
is where the value of OSGeo-Incubation comes in - in that sponsors
acknowledge the quality of projects which have gone through incubation,
and the incubation process, and therefore will add value to projects
which have passed incubation.

It is worth noting that we, the incubation committee and incubated
projects, need to retain our high standards for incubation if we wish to
retain the association of osgeo incubation with quality.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally