[Incubator] IncCom Report 2003 Q2 available

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:43:22 PDT 2013

Thanks to everyone who contributed: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IncCom_Report22

I was really pleased with all the last minuet status updates. Some projects are much further along then I expect they realised. I am also interested to hear if this exercise was worthwhile for the mentors and projects involved.

Once consistent theme is projects getting stuck on the provenance review step.

The incubation committee is not in position to directly help, but here are some ideas:
- Take a code sprint, and invite your mentor (or this mailing list) to be on hand to answer questions
- Invite your user community to participate (most code repositories are viewable via a web browser and issues are reported like any bug)
- Check over the extensive notes for GeoServer provenance Review (http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GeoServer+Provenance+Review) - it includes regex examples of how we automatically detected non standard headers or missing headers
- Arrange a breakout IRC meeting at the start of your code provenance review so your mentor can walk you though a couple of examples in your codebase

A couple hard truths about this kind of review:
- this step is simply to mitigate risk, for you, your customers, and OSGeo.
- A review will happen with or without you - potential collaborators check over your codebase and procedures and walk away without being in position to let you know