[Incubator] Vote: GeoMoose Graduation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 04:51:43 PDT 2013

Some questions and comments on GeoMoose after reading through the
Incubation Checklist here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoMoose_Incubation_Checklist

(I think the project is getting close, but not quite ready to complete
graduation)

1. I notice that there are 7 committers to the project, from 5
organisations. I consider this to be a low, but acceptable number for a
maturing project if the organisations are independent of each other.
However, I'd like to know who sponsors all these developers and
organisations? Is all the work ultimately being sponsored by the one agency?

2. It seems there are still some of loose ends which are still to be
addressed, and I think that projects should not ask for graduation
approval until they have been addressed. In particular, Jody mentioned:
* No clear statement yet on the licence of documentation? Reference to
an email discussion about license, doesn't constitute completion. I'm
looking for a license statement on website or developer guidelines or
similar.
* While not a show stopper, I'd expect that code contributors should be
able to contribute code under the project's MIT license, rather than
being required to contribute under public domain.
* I see there are 2 outstanding tickets 179, 180 addressing license
issues. I'd like to see these addressed before we consider the project
ready to complete graduation.

Documentation:
http://www.geomoose.org/developer/index.html
* I notice that core documentation is being stored in a RFC, eg:
"Project Steering Committee Guidelines".
* I'd expect that once the RFC has been approved, that the documentation
is moved into the main documentation structure from which it can
continue to be maintained. (I see RFCs as decisions that have been made,
and then fixed in time, rather than current working documentation).

* Link to "How to Release" points nowhere.

* Project Officer: No one named yet. I'd expect a volunteer to be
identified.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager