[Incubator] How to identify OSGeo projects that should be retired

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:51:26 PDT 2013

> Ohloh provides metrics about Open Source projects, and I've started
> aggregating details I could find into:
> http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/metrics.html

Amused to see how confused for Ohloh gets when we keep moving repositories around, for a while it was tracking 3 geotools repositories and completely out to lunch on project size.

So please take Ohloh with a grain of salt, it is only as good as volunteers wiring up the metrics.
> So I suggest that OSGeo and OSGeo-Live incubation criteria be updated to
> include a requirement to configure Ohloh for each project.

I am hard pressed to place any more requirements on incubation, we need to focus on the basics and get projects through the process. Perhaps "basics" is downplaying what we are up to - for contrast Eclipse Foundation does not let a project release anything until their code review is complete. I understand as they may be a danger to themselves and others.

Still of the live-dvd is going to display that information it would be good to collect it.

Aside: If you can do me a favour of making a live-dvd motion to use your project summaries from the osgeo site it would be appreciated, the information we have in drupal looks terrible and is often wrong.
> And then during each OSGeo-Live release, we should question projects
> which have not put out a release for the last year if they still have a
> community behind them, and maybe whether it would be appropriate to
> retire the project from OSGeo or OSGeo-Live.

A reminder that you do have project officers reporting the the board, perhaps they can play a role.

Cheers,