[Incubator] istSOS Incubation Application

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Fri Nov 22 06:14:05 PST 2013

dear Jody,
thanks for the complement to my application for entering the incubation
process.
In lines some note...

> A few notes to start the discussion going:
> - Nice to have a 2.0 product applying for incubation, if a project can
> release once chance are it can release again

Yes, the version 2.0 has been released and we are already working on the
version 3 :-)

> - Surprising to have a project with no commercial companies or products -
> I am interested to figure out where the software comes from?

You should not be surprised, GRASS also comes from gov and universities ;-)
The projects was developed in university and comes from the need to manage
data from regional hydro-meteorological stations. In a moment of system
renewal, I decided to use SOS standard for this task, and after looking
around we decided to implement our own solution. Today it is used for
monitoring and early warning.

> - number of downloads is in keeping with this being a sensor observation
> service .. not many people have sensors to play with

Indeed, the standard is hard to take place due to limited people managing
sensors, even though sensors are anywhere -> smart-phones...

> By the same token here is a link to the project source:
>
> - https://code.google.com/p/istsos/source/browse/
>
> A few spot checks on the codebase:
>
> -
> https://code.google.com/p/istsos/source/browse/trunk/scripts/csvacquisition.py
> -
> https://code.google.com/p/istsos/source/browse/trunk/test/istsoslib/sosRequests.py
>
>   Show a little bit of testing, although the application indicated
> automated tests were not used.

this is a testing of the istSOS but currently is not automated, you have to
launch it manually...

> -
> https://code.google.com/p/istsos/source/browse/trunk/lib/isodate/duration.py
>
>   The codebase contains a couple libs. A python developer will need to
> tell me if this is normal or if this code base should be considered mixed:

 I look forward for expert opinion on this...

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio