[Incubator] Motion to Move OTB Into Incubation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:02:36 PDT 2013

I think it is next friday, would b entice to have this approved for the board meeting (just in order to wave). However we leave it to the end of the day.

Notes while checking application:
- license? it makes the cut http://opensource.org/licenses/CECILL-2.1
- comitters: like the use of ohloh, great for looking at activity. I am unclear about developer diversity (organisation and industry) and if they have signed a code contribution agreement or similar). Something to sort out during incubation I admit!
- I was unfamiliar with ITK (loved their history of license changes http://www.itk.org/ITK/project/license.html )
- "8. Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or products" <-- I would like to reword this so it captures "governments / initiatives" "academic organisations / research". I usually check this section for a quick idea on where the money is coming from, and if the project is stable enough for production use.
- "Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the copyright?" This question is a bit funny, as in an ideal setting the product would own the trademark for their name.

Example:  OTB is trade marked for the Only The Brave Foundation

- "If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project of the OSGeo Foundation?" <-- I find this questions terrible since we are only offering osgeo infrastructure, and there is no requirement
- love the test coverage

So a +1 from me (Landon you can reply to this email with the final motion results at the end of the day)