[Incubator] Suggested tweaks to incubator docs

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 05:49:25 PDT 2014

Thanks Landon - I think we missed something when combining [1]  and [2].

The idea is to still ask the questions, but to also write down (in italics)
the criteria used to evaluate the answer. Since many of the questions
directly ask about the criteria this results in an easy to understand
document. And can be used to identify questions in the status template
(such as infrastructure) that are off topic.

Example(s):

*Q: Is there a functioning user support mechanisms (ie. mailing list)?*

Indicate the available user support mechanisms, and whether they seem to be
functioning well (are getting used and get answers).

*Desirable: Project already has a substantial user community.*

Q: Are source and binary downloads for the package available?

yes/no (and any caveats)

*Required: The code is under an OSI approved license*
*Required: Data & doc projects need to specify their choice for a type of
license.*

*Q: Has a Project Steering Committee been formed, and given control of the
project?*

yes/no, indicate members and whether it has effective control.

*Desirable: **Project is prepared to develop in an open and collaborative
fashion.*

*Q: How many active developers are there? Are they from multiple
organizations?*

Indicate number and some organizations involved.

*Desirable: *Project has contributions and interest from more than just one
company/organization.

I still prefer the graduation checklist[3] to these earlier documents. It
also covers infrastructure (as an option) near the end.

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/statustemplate.html
[2] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html
[3] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html

Jody Garnett