[Incubator] Recommend Graduation of Rasdaman from OSGeo Incubation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:30:45 PDT 2014

Hi Peter and Bruce,
I've reviewed the incubation documentation provided, and provided a few
spot reviews of the referenced documentation.
Overall, I think the documentation is in good shape, but missing
explanations, particularly around licenses and testing.

Below are a few things that I'd like to see looked into before final
sign off:

Looking at: http://rasdaman.org/wiki/OSGeoIncubationChecklist which
provides the summary about how the project is ready to complete graduation.

* For each statement that you are addressing, please add a brief
sentence explaining HOW you are addressing the statement, possibly also
with an OPINION.
For instance, currently for: "Open communication channels", you have
"see MailingLists".
In reviewing, I can see that a mailing list has been set up. In looking
at the list, I see users are asked questions on the user list and there
are answers. I can see that auto-patch messages are being pumped into
the developers list. In my quick scan, I can't see discussions between
developers about a new feature, and discussions about a design idea. So
I'd suggest describing how communication is happening. Maybe:
"See MailingLists <URL>. User questions are typically addressed on the
user email list. Development is currently mostly happening at Jacobs
University, and discussions about development typically happen in
person, and the results of such conversations are summarised onto the
developer email list (or ...)."

* For "Open Source License": I'd be hoping to see a statement about the
dual license, including a comment about the enterprise license. I'm ok
with the dual license concept which I think fits with OSGeo principles.
Further, from the material and links provided, it seems plausible that
the GPL license terms are broken by LGPL and enterprise licensed
products being distributed.
I feel there needs to be an explanation of the enterprise license, and
then about how LGPL products and enterprise products don't need to be
GPL (because they don't link in any GPL libraries?).

* "/Long term viability/":
Sentence needed here discussing roughly how many contributors you have,
(as well as existing reference to patchmanager).

* /Project documentation is available under an open license, as
documented here: Legal/:
The referenced "Legal" link doesn't talk about Documentation. Please
reference correct documentation license link.

* /http://rasdaman.org/wiki/Legal/ :
Remove references to "... blah-blah ..."

* " /Which includes execution of the testing process before releasing a
stable release:  http://212.201.49.21:35000/"/ :
  Link requires user log in. A sentence explaining testing will help here.

* "/All patches submitted to the repository undergo review before being
applied to the code base: http://www.rasdaman.org/patchmanager/" :
This doesn't confirm that patches are reviewed (by a person), only that
you use patchmanager.

* "/Systemtests are to be run by developers before submitting patches:
http://www.rasdaman.org/wiki/CodeGuide/" :
This code guide is good, but on my first pass, I can't see any reference
to testing processes. How do you verify that all code is tested? Ideally
reference continual integration or similar.

* Link to /http://rasdaman.org/browser/systemtest/  is broken. I'm
looking for evidence of testing processes, including unit testing,
continuous integration, and a system testing plan which is executed.

On 16/10/2014 4:25 pm, Bruce Bannerman wrote:

> Project:                    Rasdaman
>
> Project Contact:       Peter Baumann
>
> Project Mentor:        Bruce Bannerman
>

> Recommendation:   Rasdaman to Graduate from OSGeo Incubation
>

> Incubation Checklist: http://rasdaman.org/wiki/OSGeoIncubationChecklist
>

> Comments:
>
> I have been monitoring and participating in the Rasdaman Community
> developer and user email lists for over four years. I plan to continue
> to participate within the community.
>
> It has been pleasing to see how the community has evolved over this
> time to develop effective, open and robust processes.
>
> I recommend to other FOSS4G communities to review what has been done,
> as you may well find that Rasdaman offers a compelling solution for
> the management of multi-dimensional array or gridded data that your
> project may be able to capitalise on.
>
> A summary of community activity may be found at:
> https://www.openhub.net/p/rasdaman
>
> Key project members are active within both OSGeo and the OGC.
>
> Within the OGC they have successfully guided a range of standards to
> support mutltidimensional array (gridded) data which have culminated
> (currently) in Web Coverage Service version 2.0 and a suite of
> extensions, see: http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wcs
>
> The project's principal, Professor Peter Baumann was also recently
> awarded OGC's prestigious Kenneth D Gardels award for his
> contributions to OGC.
>

> After having participated within the community for four years and
> having reviewed their OSGeo Project Graduation Checklist, I believe
> that Rasdaman Community have fulfilled the requirements of OSGeo
> Incubation and are eligible to graduate as an OSGeo Project.
>

> The only reservation that I have is over the dual licensing model that
> is used by the sponsoring company, Rasdaman GmbH. See:
> http://www.rasdaman.com/Product/commercial+free.php
>

> There are two versions: Community (GPL and LGPL) and Enterprise (free
> from GPL constraints).
>
> The main difference between the two versions is summarised at:
> http://www.rasdaman.org/wiki/Features
>

> This dual licensing may create a problem for the Rasdaman Community in
> the future should Rasdaman GmbH decide to sell its stake in the
> Rasdaman Enterprise version of the software. We have already seen a
> similar situation arise after the sale of MySQL which was similarly
> licensed.
>
> However as the community edition of the software is released under
> open source licenses, I expect that the main impact would be to the
> continuity of the Rasdaman Community in its current form. In the event
> of a sale, we may see the software forked, as happened with MySQL.
>
> For consideration and vote.
>
> Bruce

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager