[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation

Alvaro Anguix aanguix at gvsig.com
Thu Aug 6 01:07:33 PDT 2015

Hi Jody,

El 06/08/15 a las 08:17, Jody Garnett escribió:
> So yeah, once again if you can update the checklist - and hopefully other
> members of the commit can jump in here (those that are not on summer
> vacation).
We've updated the wiki already, adding the link to “provenance review”.

> My initial impression is that gvSig has gone above and beyond the call of
> duty in isolating external code into a seperate play area. Open source
> licenses do allow for copy-and-paste (as long as the headers are clear). It
> should however make things clear, and perhaps be easier to maintain going
> forward
In reference to your comment about the "extremism" in separating source
code...
:-)

It's not that we have been extreme in separating the external source
code, not always it has been at this way, only when we have considered
it relevant when using big blocks of external code. Instead of being
embedded, we consider it's better to have it separately, link to it and
use it. Concretelly, following the “Provenance Review” link they would
be: Jedit, JUMP, Raven and jdk. This source code is used until gvSIG
2.1. From then we only use JDK.

But in the other cases, when there are a few functions with external
code, we haven't extracted them to an external project, and as you say
we have used them keeping the headers. Following the “Provenance Review”
link, they would be the listed ones from the “Apart from this, there is
still external source code in the following modules inside the
project:...” paragraph (I don't copy the list here for not to make the
mail longer).

In summary, when they are little things we keep them in our source code,
and when they are big things we have extracted them.

Thank you very much for your comments, and I hope the questions are
clear now.
:-)

Best,
Alvaro