[Incubator] Recommend pycsw Graduation

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 07:58:34 PST 2015

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for your comments.
Some answers inline:

On 02/15/2015 05:19 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Congratulations to the pycsw team for an excellent OSGeo Incubation
> application.
> I've read the application, and have a few comments listed below which
> I suggest are addressed.
> My only non-trivial concern is around the identified issues around
> conflicts found in the provenance review. I suggest they be resolved
> to the point of finding at least a work around, before completing
> graduation.
>

> [x] Open decision making process.
>
> /Comment: Please provide a link to a description of this
> process.//(Maybe this url? http://pycsw.org/development/rfc// )

This has now been addressed:

A Project Steering Committee has been formed
(http://pycsw.org/development/rfc/rfc-1.html).  A process for Request
for Proposals (RFP) for significant changes to the source code has been
articulated and in operation (http://pycsw.org/development/rfc/).

> [x] The project should have a community of developers and users who
> actively collaborate and support each other in a healthy way. Eg.
> collaboration on project activities such as testing, release and
> feature development.
>
> /Comment: It is good that you point to the existing plans, which seem
> to be specific for each release. (I like this). I suggest that there
> should be a generic guideline on the process of creating a release
> which should be referenced.//
> //Maybe this url?
> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/wiki/Release-Packaging/ )

This has now been addressed:

Guidelines for creating a release are documented at
https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/wiki/Release-Packaging/

> The project has core developers from 4 organizations and other
> contributors from downstream projects/organizations such as CKAN and
> GeoNode.
>
> /Comment: I suggest specifically mention these organisations, or
> provide a link where these organisations are referenced./

This has now been addressed:

- The project has 5 core developers from 4 organizations (Environment
Canada, National Technical University of Athens, Azavea and OKFN) and 15
contributors from downstream projects/organizations (CKAN, GeoNode, Open
Data Catalog, data.gov, OKFN, JRC, GSA, USGS, NOAA, World Bank etc).
- Some statistics (including number of contributors) for the project can
be found at https://www.openhub.net/p/pycsw
- Professional Service Providers are already available through OSGeo
registry http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile?SET=1&MUL_TECH%5B%5D=00107

> [x] The project code, documentation and data has been adequately
> vetted to assure it is all properly licensed, and a copyright notice
> included. As per a Provenance Review
> /
> //Comment: I note there are items in the Provenance Review with status
> of "checked, fix me! requires developer attention//"//. I'm nervous
> about accepting a project through incubation with such items
> outstanding. I'd at least wish to see a discussion about how such
> issues are planned to be addressed./

We had a very constructive incubation sprint with Tom and Jody during
FOSS4G 2014 PDX.
We were pointed to list all things we find during Provenance Review, and
it was very clear to us that it is more important to identify the issues
than to have a complete solution for all of them.
We have been using GeoServer wiki as a guide:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GeoServer-Provenance-Review

The pycsw team is working to address the remaining issues (e.g.
lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2015-February/000834.html  ) but we
had the impression that this was not a blocker for graduation....

Would a status of "checked warning" be acceptable?

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos