[Incubator] istSOS - code provenance review

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:31:39 PDT 2015

> We have some question/doubts you could help:
>
> 1) we have a Web interface developed in javascript. How do we have to
> apply copyrights to these files? We don't want to make them larger adding
> comments... How is the common practice?

One approach (not sure how good it is) is to put a LICENSE.txt file in the
root of your repository (this is considered polite for github projects).
Your header in your javascript files can then be much smaller with just a
(c) and a reference to the license file.

Compare:
- https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/master/lib/OpenLayers.js

To how it is used in GeoServer:
-
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wms/src/main/resources/openlayers3/ol.js
-
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wms/src/main/resources/openlayers3/readme.txt
-
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wms/src/main/resources/openlayers3/ol.css

> OpenLayers3 does not seems to have any indication on files [1], just on
> the base folder a license file [2]
>
> 2) we have embedded some libraries in the /lib folder. I have listed
> original license of the packages, is there any conflict? Moreover, how to
> properly point the license of these external libs?

For GeoServer We are distributing the minified version, with a readme on
the side. But even the minified version both to include a header.

// OpenLayers 3. See http://ol3.js.org/
// License:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openlayers/ol3/master/LICENSE.md
// Version: v3.0.0