[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation (Update)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 13:10:16 PDT 2015

Hi Alvaro,
Sorry for the slow response.

Thanks for your updated principles. I've just reviewed and here is my
feedback:

I think that you have captured the process of making technical
decisions, which is good. However:

* The documentation is in a wiki [1], and not presented in the same
prominence as the rest of the gvsig documentation [2]. I'd suggest that
your processes should be moved out of the wiki, and into the same doc
system as the rest of the docs, probably at:
http://docs.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/<something>
You might want to include the processes as another chapter in the
existing Developers Guide.
A good example you could follow is the GeoServer docs page [3] which
includes "Policies and Procedures".

* The current text reads a bit like a news article, written from an
outsider's point of view, describing how you have noticed that decisions
are made. What would be better is writing an authoritative process which
gvSig team members sometimes quote and refer to when making decisions. A
news article becomes dated, a documented process should be useful for
the community, and will get updated over time.

* The text looks like it has been written by one person, and hasn't yet
been reviewed by other core gvSig members. I'd suggest that you'd likely
get good feedback from your internal gvSig community if you were to ask:
"Does this text accurately represent how we should make decisions in the
future? Are we as a community prepared to use this documented process as
a guide for our future decisions?"

* I notice that much of the gvSig documentation is written in Spanish.
I'm not sure, but it is possible you would get better feedback from your
community if this document was written first in Spanish, and if desired,
later translated to English.

Sorry again for the delayed response, and also for giving you more
homework. I do encourage you to keep going because I think it would be
valuable for the gvsig community.

Warm regards, Cameron

[1] https://redmine.gvsig.net/redmine/projects/gvsig-desktop/wiki/Wiki
[2] http://docs.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/
[3] http://docs.geoserver.org/

On 8/10/2015 7:19 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Alvaro! Recovering from foss4g on this end, thanks for updating
> the wiki. I believe we are getting down to the end here, thanks for
> the clarifications.

> On 1 October 2015 at 05:37, Alvaro Anguix <aanguix at gvsig.com
> <mailto:aanguix at gvsig.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Apologies for the delay, but I've been in 2nd gvSIG Conference in Peru
>     and I couldn't update the checklist information before.
>     Now it's updated:
>     http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Incubation_Checklist
>
>     The principal link about technical decisions and gvSIG
>     organization is this:
>     https://redmine.gvsig.net/redmine/projects/gvsig-desktop/wiki/Wiki
>
>     Best Regards,
>     Alvaro