[Incubator] Request GPlates to join OSGeo Incubation process...

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Thu Oct 22 01:21:38 PDT 2015

Hi Incubation Committee,

We would like to officially state our intentions for GPlates to join the OSGeo Incubation process.

To summarise GPlates, it is desktop software for the interactive visualisation of plate tectonics - http://www.gplates.org - and is a collaboration between the University of Sydney, Caltech and the Geological Survey of Norway.

I'm a GPlates software developer and will be handling the application on behalf of Prof. Dietmar Müller (who leads the Earthbyte group http://www.earthbyte.org/ here at the University of Sydney) and our other GPlates collaborators.

Some background on GPlates...

GPlates started as an application for researchers at the University of Sydney and has since been released bi-annually to the public for almost a decade. With over 50,000 downloads in total it is widely used in industry, academic institutions and government departments. It is open-source, uses open standards (such as OGC) and accesses OSGeo libraries (GDAL and PROJ4). It runs as a graphical application on Windows, MacOS X and Linux platforms. And we are also developing a non-graphical Python GPlates library (first public beta release end of this year).

Regards,
John

--
John Cannon, Lead GPlates Developer - http://www.gplates.org