[Incubator] quick update / feedback prior to osgeo meeting

Manuel Grizonnet manuel.grizonnet at cnes.fr
Fri Feb 12 05:24:48 PST 2016

Hello,

as a member of the orfeo team, I just want to do an update regarding the
OTB incubation process (I've just checked and updated the application
this morning):

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OTB_Incubation_Application

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OTB_Code_Provenance_Review

I've especially complete information regarding Foundation membership
(complete IMO) and the code copyright review.

Long story short, no blocking (or unknown) issues regarding license of
third party and copyrights. Since the end of 2015, OTB is in the process
to be uploaded to Debian for the first time and has entered the "NEW
queue". I've added more information in the application about included
libraries and copyright management.

Note that there are also initiatives of the community to investigate the
feasibility to move OTB from GPL to an Apache license (see
https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/blog/page/6/?cat=1). If it happens it will
be discus and done following the decision making process set up in 2015
(inspired by other osgeo projects like gdal, qgis...) but I am not sure
that it should be "correlate" with the osgeo incubation process.

Hope that we will be able to make some progress this year regarding this.

Thanks again to Landon for his mentoring and pushing forward otb
application.

Best regards,

Manuel

Le 03/02/2016 17:44, Landon Blake a écrit :
> I'm going to see if I can push the OTB boys over the finish line this
> year. I've got some licensing issues I need to e-mail the committee
> about. I'll try to do that this week.
>
> I've also got a project for an SLD editor that reached out to me about
> OSGeo Labs. I'll try to review what I was sent and forward it to the
> committee this week as well. Then we will have to have a conversation
> about what we actually want Incubation Labs to be. :]
>
> Landon
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     We are running pretty low volume on the incubation list here, I am
>     heading into the OSGeo board meeting and would like to highlight any
>     feedback from our projects in incubation.
>
>     We have actually had a fairly successful year here, but I would
>     still like to consider kicking it up a notch in terms of graduating
>     projects and recruiting new projects into the foundation.
>     --
>     Jody Garnett

Manuel GRIZONNET