[Incubator] PyWPS code contribution agreements

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Feb 22 06:32:47 PST 2016

Le lundi 22 février 2016 14:23:24, Tom Kralidis a écrit :
> Hi all: in PyWPS we are working through code contributor and license policy
> as per the project graduation checklist [1].
>
> The project is moving with [2] as source code header/copyright.
>
> Given this copyright do we still require specific code contribution
> agreements? Guessing yes, but looking for confirmation here.

There's the alternative mentionned in
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_FAQ#Q:_Is_a_code_contribution_agreement_required
:
- either each contributor (or depending on the situation: their employer, or
the entity funding the work, etc...) retains his copyright
- either they accept to assign copyright to a single entity such as "Copyright
(C) 2014-YYYY PyWPS Development Team, represented by
PyWPS Project Steering Committee". But I'm not sure if the later would be a
valid legal entity that could exercice its rights regarding copyright
enforcement.

(My personal opinion: for the X/MIT license, there's probably little point in
having copyright assignment to a single entity. Makes more sense if you use a
copyleft license to reconsider later relicensing to non-copyleft)

http://www.spatialys.com