[Incubator] Should OSGeo accept "benevolent dictator" projects into OSGeo?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun May 1 00:44:26 PDT 2016

OSGeo discuss, OSGeo incubation, OSGeo board,

I'm hoping the greater OSGeo community will consider and comment on this
question:

Should OSGeo accept a "benevolent dictator" [1] governance model for
incubating projects?

-0 from me, Cameron Shorter.

Background:
* As part of incubation, Peter Baumann, from Rasdaman has requested a
"benevolent dictatorship" governance model [2]. While "benevolent
dictatorships" often lead to successful projects, all prior OSGeo
incubated projects have selected "equal vote by PSC members". Someone
with better legal training than me might find "benevolent dictatorships"
to be unconstitutional according to OSGeo bylaws. [3]

[1] Eric Raymond's "Homesteading the Noosphere":
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading/ar01s16.html
[2] http://www.rasdaman.org/wiki/Governance
[3] http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html

--