[Incubator] [OSGeo-Discuss] Should OSGeo accept "benevolent dictator" projects into OSGeo?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun May 1 13:05:12 PDT 2016

A PSC is not required for any OSGeo project (even a graduated project) -
being inclusive is. The GeoNode project is an example in incubation that
forms a leadership team based on recent committers as I understand it. The
benevolent dictator model does not meet this inclusive requirement, Cameron
suggested a steering committee formed with one chair member with 1.5 votes
(to prevent deadlock).

The OSGeo incubation principles are often based on risk ... to users of the
software project. The "benevolent dictator" model, just like having a
project backed by a single company/organization, suffers from a stability
problem - what if the dictator or organization loses interest? By splitting
responsibility across multiple parties the project has a much better chance
of weathering these storms ... and the risk for users of the software is
lower.

I am sorry I am not the best at talking through the pros/cons of
the benevolent dictator model - perhaps some who feels more passionately
about this subject (or who has first hand experience) could step in.