[Incubator] Rasdaman and OSGeo Incubation: Proposed way forward

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Sun May 8 15:11:56 PDT 2016

Dear Peter, dear Bruce,
I've been silent in the previous discussions and only respond because I've been in a similar role Peter is in now. And because I feel that the situation the incubation of Rasdaman is in now is no good one for anybody. Indeed I think that there is no need at all to remain stalled.

My 1 cent advice to Peter would be to embrace the suggestion Arnulf also gave, namely "remove your personal name from the role of chair of the PSC". I was a benevolent dictator for years on the GeoNetwork project. I think it served the project well for a long time. And indeed I can safely say that when we needed a final decision on a direction to take, my vote/verdict would still weigh a little more than those of other PSC members ones we established a PSC when going through the OSGeo incubation project. Establishing a PSC, moving away from the benevolent dictatorship model proved good for the project. I've never feared the project would be "governed by a "dictatorship of voting"" as you put it. You are still there to ensure it won't! :-) Hence (and I am aware this may raise resistance to what I'm suggesting. I hope it won't because I'm not trying to judge in any way) I hope that you can drop the resistance against replacing a person's name as the person making the ultimate decisions with a role (chair of the PSC). It reads to me as if that simple change causes fear to lose control. I'm convinced it doesn't work like that in practice. It just makes governance more transparent in the long run.
I sincerely hope my suggestion can help to avoid a stalled (or even failed) incubation process. It is in fact the only reason why I did not vote on the proposal earlier on. I had hopes it was a minor thing to change in the project governance instantly.

Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
Jeroen Ticheler