[Incubator] Suggestion that MapCentia GC2/Vidi should be an OSGeo Community Project

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:51:17 PST 2018

Excellent lets see if I can find them.

*project page*
Looks good, it appears as if the project page logo and your service
provider logo are the same? That will be awkward for you if other
organizations choose to deploy the platform :) Consider naming the
framework page "GC2/Vidi" as you do when referenced from your service
provider page (or you know rename your company to prevent confusion).

The first sentence:
- Say what the software does confidently, rather than be shy about it. The
use of "project aims to make" sounds shy, be confident you have met your
"aims" :D
- Open source is an internal detail of how the software is developed and
distributed (an important detail) that we are proud of ... but it is not
what the software does for potential users (well unless you are focused on
license fees impacting scalability).
- before: *The MapCentia project aims to make it easy for organizations to
use open source software for building spatial data infrastructure.*
- after: *The GC2/Vidi framework helps you build a spatial data
infrastructure quickly and easily. Powered using open source components for
a scalable solution focused on freedom rather than fees.*

Q: Do you have a screen shot of Vidi? These pages look way better with an
example of what the software looks like running to share with visitors?

Q: Do you have a picture of the development team? A theme of our website is
to show the people that produce the software (as a not so subtle reminder
that open source is made of people).

Q: A bit more basic on what the project is for, keep in mind our visitors
are no all technologists :). As an example your leading feature is "Deploy
the whole software stack using Docker." Now if I am wrong and you only want
visitors that have committed to Docker that is fine also ...

Q: What is a similar open source project? What is a similar proprietary
project that you could support people migrating from?

For the service provider page we should move over to the marketing
committee.