[Incubator] [Board] mapfish project status

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 12:52:24 PST 2019

Jody, I'd suggest that this should be managed at the level of the OSGeo
Incubation Committee rather than at the OSGeo Board.

As a Incubation Committee member, I'd suggest giving MapFish a period of
time (say 3 months?) to re-validate their incubation status, and during
that time have them remain as an incubated project. We don't have a
process yet for this, so we probably should write the process as we go.

On 19/11/19 11:02 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Earlier this year we places several osgeo projects that were not
> communicating (or no longer meeting osgeo expectations) into the OSGeo
> community program.
>
> One project that asked for some more time was mapfish:
>
> * The mapfish.org <http://mapfish.org>http://www.mapfish.org/ website
> uses the old logo and documents MapFish 2.2 released in 2016
> * The osgeo project page was never filled in
> https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mapfish/ (1)
>
> The good news is that the the project is very much alive, has a new
> GeoMapFish name, website <https://geomapfish.org>, code base
> <http://github.com/camptocamp/c2cgeoportal>, and a new development
> team (indeed I am not sure if any current members took part in the
> incubation process).
>
> On the bright side Emmanuel and the MapFisk PSC produced a page for
> the AGM (slide 59) which is great and really improves communication.
>
> My question though is simple - should we remove MapFish as an OSGeo
> project, and invite GeoMapFish to apply to the OSGeo Community
> program, or should we ask this PSC to quick march this project through
> the incubation checklist requirements to preserve continuity?
>
> Emmanuel would you be able to attend the board meeting to provide an
> update on this project? If you need help setting up osgeo project page
> we are happy to do so on the incubation email list.
>
> (1) Wishing to recommend mapfish today and finding this page is what
> promoted this email

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254