[Incubator] [Board] mapfish project status

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:11:47 PST 2019

Hi Cameron,

The Incubation Committee is responsible for projects under incubation.
Graduated projects have to report to the board (see tickets:
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/11
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/40

MapFish is listed as graduated, so I agree with Jody that the board has
to decide if the project should change status.

Best,
Angelos

On 11/20/19 10:52 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Jody, I'd suggest that this should be managed at the level of the
> OSGeo Incubation Committee rather than at the OSGeo Board.
>
> As a Incubation Committee member, I'd suggest giving MapFish a period
> of time (say 3 months?) to re-validate their incubation status, and
> during that time have them remain as an incubated project. We don't
> have a process yet for this, so we probably should write the process
> as we go.
>
> On 19/11/19 11:02 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> Earlier this year we places several osgeo projects that were not
>> communicating (or no longer meeting osgeo expectations) into the
>> OSGeo community program.
>>
>> One project that asked for some more time was mapfish:
>>
>> * The mapfish.org <http://mapfish.org>http://www.mapfish.org/ website
>> uses the old logo and documents MapFish 2.2 released in 2016
>> * The osgeo project page was never filled in
>> https://www.osgeo.org/projects/mapfish/ (1)
>>
>> The good news is that the the project is very much alive, has a new
>> GeoMapFish name, website <https://geomapfish.org>, code base
>> <http://github.com/camptocamp/c2cgeoportal>, and a new development
>> team (indeed I am not sure if any current members took part in the
>> incubation process).
>>
>> On the bright side Emmanuel and the MapFisk PSC produced a page for
>> the AGM (slide 59) which is great and really improves communication.
>>
>> My question though is simple - should we remove MapFish as an OSGeo
>> project, and invite GeoMapFish to apply to the OSGeo Community
>> program, or should we ask this PSC to quick march this project
>> through the incubation checklist requirements to preserve continuity?
>>
>> Emmanuel would you be able to attend the board meeting to provide an
>> update on this project? If you need help setting up osgeo project
>> page we are happy to do so on the incubation email list.
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> (1) Wishing to recommend mapfish today and finding this page is what
>> promoted this email

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation