[Incubator] The Open Data Cube as a OSGeo Community Project

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:56:43 PDT 2020

Hey Folks

After a too long hiatus, I'm back with a checked list of tasks for the ODC
to become an OSGeo Community project.

Here's the list:

   1. Be geospatial
      - Confirm by checking README or project description
         - Not explicit in the project README
         <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core>. Very clear
on the project
         webpage <https://www.opendatacube.org/>.
      - project page on the osgeo website
         - https://www.osgeo.org/projects/open-data-cube/
         - We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an
      OSGeo Live quickstart
         - The ODC has extensive documentation
         <https://datacube-core.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>, which could
         always be better, but exist and are good.
      2. Have a free license or an open source license.
      - The license must be OSI approved
         - Apache 2.0 licensed
         <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core/blob/develop/LICENSE>
      - We ask that the project team check the file headers and double
      check the license has been appropriately applied
         - We could use some feedback here. Should there be headers on all
         files?
      3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
      - We look for a clear contribution policy
         - We have a CONTRIBUTORS.md
         <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md>
         file
      - We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a
      history of bug report or pull requests
         - We have a long history of contributions and code review on a
         number of repositories, including the core
         <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core/pulls?q=is%3Apr>
         and the ows <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-ows> engine.
      - Projects are required to have a code of conduct
         - We have a code of conduct
         <https://github.com/opendatacube/datacube-core/blob/develop/code-of-conduct.md>
         .
         -

So, I think file headers is the only outstanding issue. It would be great
to get some input on what we should do here. I'll go do some research now.

Kind regards,

Alex

--
Alex Leith