[Incubator] MOSS "heritage" project

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:38:13 PDT 2020

Hi Jody,

I’ve been following the discussions on the Board list.

I can still remember being trained in MOSS in the mid 80’s. It certainly made an impression on me having then come from a mainly Intergraph IGDS background.

I believe that:

It is appropriate for OSGeo to be the ‘Home’ for the legacy MOSS IP and artefacts.

It will probably require some effort to put this together.

From the discussions that I’ve seen so far, I suspect that there is also hardcopy material as well that will need to be archived:
I recall a similar discussion a year or two ago about some legacy GRASS hardcopy materials.
I don’t know that a group of virtual volunteers is necessarily the right forum for preserving these hardcopy artefacts.
Where could they be physically located and preserved?
However, the hardcopy artefacts may be very important as evidence of ‘prior art’, for those organisations and countries that need to deal with ’software patents’.

Kind regards,

Bruce